Receive Aid

Receive your aid

Generally, funds are issued in two disbursements: one in the fall semester and one in the spring semester. Disbursement is based on your enrollment status. Financial aid will typically apply to your student account about one week before the first day of classes each semester and be automatically applied toward current tuition, required fees, and housing charges. As a service and convenience to you, KU will apply any excess federal financial aid to other charges, such as sports passes and library fees; you can choose how to apply this aid in Enroll & Pay. If you decline this service, you will still be responsible for any outstanding charges. The university may place holds on your enrollment and/or academic transcripts until billed charges are paid in full.

Meet enrollment requirements

If you are enrolled in at least 12 hours as an undergraduate or nine hours as a graduate, professional, or law student, your awards will be disbursed, provided you have a complete financial aid file. Hours requirements must be met prior to the first day of classes. If you cannot meet this requirement prior to the first day of classes, awards may not credit your account or appear as anticipated aid until you are enrolled in the applicable minimum hours.

Receive disbursement of scholarships from donors outside of KU

Scholarships awarded through outside agencies will generally be credited to your student account once you endorse any checks received by FAS. Outside awards of $1,500 or more are typically divided equally between fall and spring semesters unless the donor instructs otherwise.

Authorize direct deposit

Complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form, which allows financial aid, scholarships, and other credit balances to be electronically deposited into your bank account. KU Student Accounts & Receivables requires direct deposit for student account refunds on the Lawrence and Edwards campuses. You may complete the form on Enroll & Pay (Student Center > Finances > Set Up Direct Deposit). Parents may also complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form for PLUS loans at

Receive a financial aid refund

If your financial aid exceeds the amount due on your eBill, you will see a credit balance on your account and receive a refund from Student Accounts & Receivables. If you don't sign up for direct deposit, a check will be mailed to your billing address. Financial aid refunds are typically available six business days after your financial aid disbursement. The first day to obtain a refund for a particular semester is typically one or two days before the first day of classes. Excess PLUS loan funds go to the parent borrower.

Receive Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds 

Federal Work-Study is disbursed much differently than other financial aid awards. You will earn a bi-weekly paycheck based on hours worked. FWS funds will never automatically credit your KU eBill. See the Work-Study page for more information.